April 10, 2008

The Quest

When most people go shopping, they see something they like, decide they want it, then buy it. This is the normal pattern of things. I, unfortunately, don't shop like a normal person. I get an idea in my head of a very specific item I want and then start hunting for it. I'm really picky, and won't spend money until the item for sale matches the item in my head. Sometimes this takes weeks. I will recruit friends to keep an eye out if I have to. I call these searches my "Quests". Past Quests have included "The Quest For The Perfect Flat Open-Toe Wedding Shoe", "The Quest for The Perfect B&W Polka dot Retro Dress", and "The Quest for a Semi-Metallic Not-Sparkly Sort of Neutral Eye Shadow". It may have taken ages, but I eventually found each one of these things.

That said, I have a new Quest. And I'm recruiting you guys to help me. This most recent Quest has been spurred on by the fact I'll be doing some overseas traveling this summer, and want to bring a sketchbook along. Of course, I don't want just any sketchbook. That would be too easy.

A couple years ago, I bought a present for a friend that was some sort of leather-bound sketchbook. When you opened the flap, there were slots inside the cover for a set of colored pencils. I've decided that I need a not-too-small not-too-big sketchbook with some sort of pocket or slots for art supplies. Of course, I can no longer find aforementioned sketchbook at the place I bought it. So, I need to find a different one. A collection of pencils, an eraser, and a pencil sharpener would probably be what I'm toting around. In the past, I've carried an easily portable sketchbook and an entire pencil case. That's sort of cumbersome, especially if you're trying to draw on the move. I really don't want to have to dig all of that out of my bag while standing in front of something sketch-worthy. I want to be able to pull the pencil right out of a slot in the actual sketchbook. It has to be big enough for significant drawing, but small enough for me to comfortably carry around several countries.

I started looking online yesterday. I found a bunch of sketch folios. These seem like a good idea if a) I wanted to carry a whole other bag around or b) I just needed to go sit in a field and draw, but didn't plan on moving for most of the day. It's a little bit too big. I also found a "compact portable" sketch folio, but that was too small. (Do I sound like the Goldilocks of Art Supplies yet?) I sort of like this sketchbook cover. I like that it's refillable. However, it's too expensive and I would like a little more organization that just a big pouch on the front.
Then...while browsing on Etsy and I came across a masterpiece:

It's (very fittingly) called The Artist Dream Sketchbook and is made by jennysbooks. Let me just post part of jennysbook's own description of this gorgeousness so you can know why I'm drooling. She says,

"This is a very hefty sketchbook. . . about 10" x 8.25" x 2.75"
My husband (also an artist) designed this style for himself and he loves it.
Your book will be custom made for you - I have included pictures of five different such sketchbooks that we have made."

"Your choice of motifs will be burned into the solid wood front cover by hand. The back cover is actually a box with a barrel-hinged lid that holds all your artist pencils, pens and even eraser. Both covers are dyed and sealed with a tung oil finish. The extra thick back cover makes a superbly stable surface to draw on. The book body includes approximately 360 pages of quality drawing paper plus a sheet of tracing paper between most pages. It is bound extra carefully and strong for lots of use. The spine is Kangaroo or goat leather and is topped off with furniture nails."


I want it!!! Except, it's also $350. And rightly so -- that sketchbook is a work of art in itself. If I owned it, I would never draw in it. Ever. My thumbnail sketches are completely intelligible to any eye but mine. I wouldn't want to put my scribbles in that book. That book deserves Da Vinci-level drawings. However, not drawing in a sketchbook sort of defeats its purpose. But jennybooks, just so you know, if given $350 of Etsy Bucks, that sketchbook would be mine!
In the real world I could never afford it, so alas - my affair with this sketchbook shall remain in only in my mind. Sigh.

Anyway, back to The Quest. I do realize I could hire someone on Etsy Alchemy to do this for me. However, that defeats the point of a quest. You'd be missing the point...I'm sure this item already exists somewhere in the real world. (Plus, hiring someone to make something from scratch for you can get pricey.) If you guys can direct me to the not-too-small not-too-big organized-with-pockets-or-slots-for-art-supplies sketchbook of my dreams (that I could afford and order online), I'd be forever grateful. (o:

7 comments:

Home Of The Gumbles said...

You are MUCH more detailed in your quests for items than I am. I thoroughly enjoyed this!

Nicole Huot said...

Haha! I don't know what's wrong with me. I have SUCH a specific idea of what I want. It's fun to search around for things, but it's also frustrating when I can't find it! (o:

Sheikasaurus Rex said...

You're picky! :)

The only thing I could find is this one with a pocket/pouch.
http://www.journalsandpapers.com/product/LRWSB-P-LtBrn

Nicole Huot said...

I found that one too! The only problem is the cost. /o:

I am picky. My former roommie helped me on one of my Quests. She was both amused and sort puzzled by my shopping methods. Haha!

You know what I might have to resort to? My mom offered to make me a sketchbook cover with pockets. Moms can solve anything! Aw, thanks mom! (o:

Scott Bulger Photography said...

I'll keep my eyes open. I've always wanted to be part of a quest!

Nicole Huot said...

Too bad this isn't a quest for anything exciting! Haha!

Sheikasaurus Rex said...

Aww, your mom is so sweet! They really do have the answer toe everything. :)