March 05, 2008

Wednesday picture blog

I've really been trying hard to stay on-topic with this blog. It's supposed to be my forum for art, illustration, and craft-related subjects. That said, it's totally ok to break your own rules once in a while, right? This isn't really art-related, but I figured, "Eh, why not?" I'm feeling very blah today. Like I got a case of the blues for no good reason. Maybe it's because there's still nothing but a snowscape around here that I feel the need to brighten things up. (With any luck, it'll inspire spring to get here quicker!)

Here are some pics from last year of one of my favorite spots of all time, Pickity Place. It's a 200 year old cottage out in the middle of nowhere. It was the inspiration for the illustrations in the 1948 Little Golden Books version of Little Red Riding Hood. They have the most amazing (and totally affordable) gourmet lunch - just take a look at their online menu. Make sure you call to book your reservation weeks in advance - they fill up fast! There's a greenhouse, herb and flower gardens, and quaint gift shops. I grew up going there and it's still pretty much instant happiness for me: I took this pic on the way there. Ah...


We've arrived! This is where you have lunch. I'm kind of in love with that twisty old tree. Here's some shots from the herb and flower gardens around the cottage:


Tiger lilies

Teeny strawberries

Big fat bumble bee sitting on a flower. I love big furry fat bumble bees! You guys must have figured that out by now...seeing as how I sculpt bees out of clay and sell 'em on Etsy. (o:


Here's a little secret about me: sunflowers scare me. Oh yeah, they make me totally uncomfortable. I'm sorry, but no flower should be 7-8 feet tall. I feel like one of them is going to lean down to my ear and say, "Feed me, Seymour!!!" Agghghh!!!

Sleeping kitty. Though I'm terribly allergic, you can't help but say "Awww" to a cat sleeping in a puddle of sunshine. Pickity Place used to have sheep. I remember them from my trips there as a kid. They don't anymore, but I wish they did. I'd probably have photos of them too!
There. I just cheered myself up.
I don't know if it did anything for you, but I'm inspired to go ask my husband to make a lunch reservation for us.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww, I'm all ice covered here in IL. All of that lovely made me miss it a little more.

Nicole Huot said...

We totally have nothing but snow here right now too. Spring is coming soon though, don't worry! (o:

Regina said...

What a beautiful place. I am so jealous!