September 11, 2008

Mail Art


The image above is one of Ray Johnson's mail art pieces.

For the past year, I've been interested in ATCs (artist trading cards). I even spoke with a fellow Etsian who referred me to the ATC group that she participates in. The problem is that with school, I don't have too much time to create and trade mini works of art, as much as I'd love to.

As I mentioned a couple blogs ago, I recently saw the documentary How To Draw a Bunny which reignited my interest in mail art. Though at the time I didn't know it had a name, I used to do this my friends. I don't think I could keep up with ATCs right now, but I do think I might be able to send out the occasional mail art piece.

Much to my delight, I found a thread on the Etsy forums posted by sparklerama who had also recently seen (and been inspired by) How to Draw a Bunny. We're making plans to send each other some mail art. I'm pretty excited about the prospect.

I'm wondering if anyone out there is involved in an organized mail art group? I've been able to find ATC groups, but just started wondering about mail art. If not, I wonder if it would be possible to get some sort of mail art group together. How would that work? Would you have to send a piece to each person in the group all at once? Or do we all take turns sending one piece to a different person each time? If anyone can enlighten me, I'd be interested to hear it. (o:

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I would love to do this mail art thing with you! I make a lot of ATCs for my pen pals. Let me know if it's going to be a group thing!

Nicole Huot said...

Yeay! I have no idea how to go about creating a group format, but so far it's only me and sparklerama - haha! I would love to have you in on the mail art thing!!! I'll convo you on Etsy, Amy.

Jama said...

You stuff is so cute! Anyway, you'd commented in my blog about "That's Clever!" The only way I ever got them to email me back was by using their standard email contact form on the HGTV website (http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/about_us/text/0,1783,HGTV_3080_4964,00.html). The return email address on their message to me was IS6061_22118@is.instantservice.com.

Good luck!!!
Jama