September 18, 2008

Snail mail, anyone?

I'm thinking about creating a mail art list for artists and craftspeople to connect and have a fun correspondence with each other. After getting feedback from my other blog posts, and having discussions with fellow artists and Etsians, there seems to be some genuine interest in participating in something like that. Everyone loves mail, right? Especially when it's not a bill!

However, with me being in school, commuting, plus working full time -- I certainly don't have the time required to run or coordinate anything, let alone a group!

Instead, I was thinking that what I could do was collect addresses from interested parties, compile them in a big list, and send them out to everyone. That way people could choose random names off the list of people, and start mailing little fun postcards, collages, doodles, tiny paintings (or whatever) to fellow artists all over.

If you aren't sure what mail art is, please click on this link. The options for what you send are wide open since the definition of art is pretty broad. The only rule that I absolutely want to stick to is that if you receive something, you should definitely send a little piece of art back to that person in return. Participate! Really, it's only fair. You can't just sit back and get cool art in the mail without sending any in return.

What do you think? Does anyone want to participate? Maybe I should put a deadline on submitting your address so the group doesn't get out-of-control huge. What do you think? Does that sound good? I'm completely open to any suggestions. I've never tried to put together anything like this before.

If you're interested (or have any suggestions) please e-mail me at honeydewstudio@gmail.com or you can just write me with your snail-mail address. Let's see where this goes!

8 comments:

Kim Caro said...

hm this sounds fun!

Nicole Huot said...

Send your address along to honeydewstudio@gmail.com
I've had half a dozen responses already! It'll be a blast! (o:

UniqueNurseGranny said...

Sounds interesting.

GalxcNebula said...

Nice idea. I have been on the 1001 journals where you send your journal to travel along a list of people who sign up to contribute. Bad thing was someone stole my journal after only 3 entries :(. I still enjoy the snail mail concepts though. Good luck with this nice idea!

AmyC ~ said...

this sounds fun!

meme said...

wow sounds like fun! I cant wait to see what people get in the mail too!! xoxo meme

Nicole Huot said...

Send your addresses to the e-mail address I linked and I'll add ya to the list! (o:

Jenn Maruska said...

Sounds like fun!