September 09, 2008

Recycled Couture


I was searching the internet this weekend -- looking for images I could use in a homework assignment when I ran across these photos (above and below). As usual, I'm a bit behind the times as these creations made their debut last year - but I figured they were still worth posting.

These gowns are all made out of recycled material. The colorful dress above is created from cans and (I think) boxes. The first dress below is newspaper. The final dress is recycled jeans...which makes sense since all of these gowns were designed by Gary Harvey, who was formerly the Creative Director for Levi's.


My best friend from college and former roommate does work like this. I thought she was the only nut making ballgowns from candy wrappers. That is, until I saw these! I'll have to post some pictures of the dresses she made on another post.

In the meantime, to see more recycled couture, click here.

8 comments:

earth and sun folk said...

it's amazing what you can create from recycled things! cool read...thanks for sharing!

Inklings and Imprints said...

Wow - these are fabulous!

Slightly different, but it reminds me of clothing made from food:

http://www.chow.com/grinder/tag/food

Recylced is great... maybe not recycled food.

Nicole Huot said...

You're welcome! (o:
I'm always so impressed by the level of creativity when it comes to art made from unusual materials. I think the newspaper dress is my favorite!

Nicole Huot said...

inklings - food clothes? Hahaha! That's great. I love Project Runway, but I have class the nights that it's on, so I keep missing it! I saw a wedding gown made from cream puffs somewhere online. Totally bizarre.

Sarah Jane said...

Very cool!

The last one is my favourite. :D

LaAlicia said...

Love the recycled gowns -- those are great -- the demin one if my fave! :)

kim* said...

tacky but still cool for halloween, id wear it just for halloween

yellowfish said...

wow- that newspaper dress is amazing!