February 05, 2008

Design Whine

I'm exhausted. The weather is just miserable. Coffee isn't even helping me this morning - which is a shame because I have a long commute and an even longer day ahead of me.
I have class tonight, and I'm not at all confident in the homework I completed for it. I worry that I misunderstood something about the project, or missed some crucial direction and that my work will stick out like a sore thumb amist beautifully executed pieces.
I really don't "get" typography and layout. It's like my brain simply isn't wired that way. You might as well be speaking to me in a foreign language. I suppose that's why I'm in school in the first place, but still...you don't want to be the worst girl in class, right? You want to at least appear that you're catching on. Especially when I already have BFA from an excellent art school. I imagine people raising an eyebrow at my credentials then pointing at my homework and saying, "And this is the best you could come up with???" (I realize no one would actually do that. But that's what goes on inside my head sometimes.)
Adding to my misery, I'm working on a PC at home. A Mac is really more appropriate for these design programs. I think I missed out on a pile of potential fonts that I could've used last night for this project just because I'm working on PC platform. Not to mention that my bare-bones knowledge of design programs will eventually conspire against me. I certainly don't have any money right now to invest in a new computer system. (Unless I win the lotto...which would REALLY help right about now! Where's that genie in the magic lamp?)
Last week, our teacher mentioned that we could work our school's computer lab, but he also doesn't know that I am an out-of-state commuter. I'm not going to drive down an hour (sometimes 1.5 - 2 hrs depending on traffic) on a non-school day just to pop in the hopes there's a free seat in the lab. I do have a full-time job, an online shop, and a home to maintain. Ugh.
Anyone want give me a boost of confidence? Or at the very least, a really strong cup of coffee?* I need it today. :oP

*Along with the lotto genie, there should definitely be coffee fairies. They're much needed creatures, you would think nature would've designed them by now! Lol.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

You could try Fed Ex/Kinkos - some of them have Mac Workstations and most if not all of the design programs you would need. You could always pop into one on a Saturday morning with a nice mug of coffee and get some work done that way.

Nicole Huot said...

Really? I didn't know that. The hours that I'll need to spend in front of that computer will probably cost me an arm and a leg, though. I suppose if worse comes to worse, I can just beg my bro-in-law to go over his place and use his Mac. Then I'll also have a graphic designer nearby to tell me how to work the programs! Mwah-ha-ha!

~Stella said...

Cute post, I'm sure your homework was excellent! If you ever see a coffee fairie, please send her/him my way after you get your steaming cup.

:)

Nicole Huot said...

Haha! Will do. Those coffee fairies will be so busy!