February 09, 2008

It's a small world after all

Haha - now I got that song stuck in your head!

Tonight I'm celebrating the fact that I finally added international shipping to my shop. It's been about a year that I've been procrastinating. I bought a postal scale last week. Tonight I packaged up my items like I would for shipping and weighed them. Then I went online to http://www.usps.com/ to calculate the postage.

That tactic worked fine for US and Canadian shipping. However, there's an option on Etsy to charge a single rate to ship "Everywhere Else". Now, I'm sure the cost of a box going to the UK as opposed to AU is completely different. What I had to do (and the reason I was putting off doing it) was sort of make an educated guesstimate. I basically averaged those costs together. I hope I didn't undercut myself. I didn't factor in delivery confirmation or the insurance I buy for items over $35. I guess only time will tell if it'll need to be adjusted or not.

In the meantime, I'd like to extend a big smiling welcome to all of you international buyers. *waves* I've finally shown you some love. Come on over and take a look around!

Mr. B says, "I pity the fool without international shipping!"




8 comments:

thecuriousrabbit said...

international shipping you say?! woohoo.....off to peek....

Azure Accessories said...

Shipping can be a bit complicated especialy when items have a huge range in weight!!

Great blog...
http://www.azureislandsdesigns.blogspot.com/

able mabel said...

I finally added it to my shop too. It's hard to know if I'm charging too much, not enough, etc...even with all the weighing and such.

Looks like you and I just have to sell something to be shipped internationally and compare notes ;)!

~Stella said...

Cute post! International shipping is tricky, that's for sure.

~Stella

Nicole Huot said...

It is very tricky. I guess I'll have to see how it goes! I'll update once I get my first international buyer. (Which I hope will be sooner rather than later!)

Regina said...

I had my first Canadian sale and it was so much easier than I had imagined. I hope it goes as smoothly for the other countries.

Beat Black said...

the "I pity the fool without international shipping!" made me laugh a little. so true

Nicole Huot said...

Oh yeah. I can geek it out with the best of 'em! (o: