February 26, 2008

Procrastination Station

I've been thinking about intentionally neglecting my online shop(s) for a little while. For some time, I got super-obsessed with updating and maintaining it, and all that diligence did for me was snag one very tiny sale. It's just not worth it. Not until my HGTV show airs, anyway. Frankly, I'm starting to think the real reason I have a shop at all is for the art community...because I'm certainly not making any money. I've taken all the advice there is regarding promotions and shop updates, but I'm still not making regular sales. (Sorry, Etsy. I love you, but what have you done for me lately?) I do better with commissions.

And besides, I have a few other projects that got pushed to the side ages ago that could use some TLC. The area behind my drafting desk looks like The Isle of Lost Art. One of the "lost" is a painting I was working on as a gift for my dad...for Father's Day. Last summer. Yikes. It's a tribute to my paternal grandparents. I had this grand idea to have a base painting of their 50th anniversary photo, and then paint their wedding portrait on glass over it:



There were also some Edith Piaf lyrics involved, but that's beside the point. The point is that it was never finished. It's going to be even harder to finish it now, too. Though my grandfather passed away when I was 19, my grandmother just passed away while I was in the middle of doing the painting. Guess I gotta just get to it...maybe with a box of Kleenex on hand.


Needless to say, when left to my own devices, I NEVER finish ANYTHING. I think this is why I went into illustration. This is why I need to be an illustrator. You get a client. That client gives you a deadline that you need to meet otherwise you don't get paid. Deadlines do a lot for me. I can meet a deadline, even if doing so nearly kills me. I'm good at meeting deadlines. If I invent my own project, there's no deadline. Which means I can keep working (or not) on something until the end of time. Which usually means it gets abandoned half-finished. By the time I get back around to it, the idea is so old that I've lost inspiration.


Also, my studio is a hot MESS. I would post a picture to prove it, but it's simply so shameful that I need an "after" picture to redeem the "before". Since I haven't cleaned yet there will be no pics today, folks. It's probably just as well. I'm going to make an attempt at some sort of organization and cleaning in here this afternoon. I know the hubby wishes the fridge was my priority, but I've got to organize my studio first...for my own sanity. Sorry honey. Wish me luck!

5 comments:

Gina Perry said...

I can't believe it's almost time for your HGTV segment... how a year flies by! Procrastination is something everyone deals with. Ellen Degeneres has a great quote in one of her routines: Procrastinate now, don't put it off!

I'm curious to see what the portrait painting looks like, maybe you could give yourself a deadline of a critique group meeting?

Nicole Huot said...

Hi Gina - haha! I love that quote. I also saw a t-shirt that said, "Procrastinators: Leaders of Tomorrow".
A crit group meeting would be a good deadline, but I doubt I'll meet it! I'll see how it goes with this painting...I haven't worked on my fine art stuff in a long time. I'm still working in gouache - which is tricky for portraits. I'll post pics soon to show how it's coming along.

Tizzalicious said...

I'm just like you, I really need to figure out when it's enough, because I keep working on my shop and promoting!

Nicole Huot said...

Totally! I got obsessive with it. I think I need a teeny break - time to finish up some old work!

brandianndesigns said...

i totally hear you. my new years resolution is to finish my projects. don't start something i can't (and don't intend to) finish. after almost 30 years of not really finishing my own projects i made stockings for our entire family (and in-laws) this past christmas. 7 total. no big deal. made from wool felt and hand sewn. i was so overwhelmed, but i trudged on and finished them. i had such a sense of accomplishment to finally finish something i started!

so, now that i've hijacked your post. i just wanted you to know that i understand where you're coming from. that's why i started making earrings. simple. fast. nothing too much for me and my new resolution to handle. :)
brandi