January 17, 2008

Art Confessions

I don't have a favorite illustrator.
And I think that's a little weird, seeing as how I have a BFA in illustration. To narrow the topic a little bit, I'm talking specifically about children's book illustrators for now. (If I expanded to include all illustration, this post would be a book in itself!)
Though I'm not a teacher, I do work for a literacy-based early education program and I see a lot of children's books come through here. In fact, I'm the one placing orders for them. I know which books our kids at the school love. (Anyone else have to hear Paul Zelinsky's "Wheels on the Bus" or Eric Carle's "Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See?" 900 times?) When it comes to my own favorites however...*shrug*. I appreciate different illustrators for different reasons.
There are the contemporary classics like Maruice Sendak and Tommie Depaola. Then I'm drawn to illustrators like Jan Brett, Jane Chapman, Ian Falconer....I could just go on and on. For me, there's just not one single person who takes the cake.
On one hand, I suppose that's good. I'd hate to be so enamored with someone that my own illustration becomes influenced by them. No one wants to be a cheap copy of someone more successful than themselves. On the other hand, shouldn't I have someone to look up to? Maybe I'm just wishy-washy. I don't know.
Do any of you have a favorite illustrator? Picture books that you were obsessed with while you were growing up? What is it about that person's style of illustration that draws you to them? I'd love to hear your list of favorites, so spill the beans!

2 comments:

Bijoutery said...

John Howe is probably my favorite illustrator (Lord of the Rings). His drawings are just fabulous - Alan Lee's too. There's just something about them that I find captivating.

And Beatrix Potter will always hold a special place in my heart - I've loved her stories and illustrations ever since I was a child.

I love looking at children's books too for the illustrations! I spent one summer working in a library managing the summer childrens program and loved spending time looking thru those skinny little books which were more picture than text - some had amazing illustrations.

Nicole Huot said...

Ooo - good choices on illustrators! My husband has a book of Alan Lee's drawings for LOTR and Beatrix Potter is always a classic.
I agree with you - it's so easy to be captivated by good illustrations. It doesn't matter how old you are. I still find myself getting wrapped up in kids' books!