January 14, 2008

Let's Get It Started!

Even though this blog has technically been in existence for ages, I confess this is my first post. But it is a new year, and there's no time like the present, right?
I plan on dedicating this blog to illustration, art, and "making stuff" in general. I welcome fellow artists and craftspeople to pop in and leave comments and suggestions. As always, non-artsy people are more than welcome too.
Just to give you a little "about me" info: I live in New England with my hubby and have a BFA in illustration. Since no one has come down from the heavens to present me with a giant book deal (or a winning Powerball ticket), this fact has necessitated a full-time day job. I love my job and the bennies are good, so that's ok.
I meet with my SCBWI crit group when I can, create paintings commission and illustrations for ads when I can get it, and I sell quirky little gifts in my online Etsy shop. (Check for the links on this page, guys.) I'm absolutely addicted/obsessed with Etsy. That, and Jazzercise. Yes, seriously.
I also started going back to school this year. I decided that some sort of knowledge in graphic design would be beneficial to my long-term career goals. So, I applied - and got into - a graphic design certificate program. I now have to suffer a one (sometimes two) hour drive twice a week to take night classes. The stress of working full time, plus school, plus the commute sort of makes me want to poke my eyes out, but I believe it'll be worth it in the long run. I already survived my first semester.
Other factoids about me: I was randomly discovered by a scout for the HGTV show "That's Clever" before my wedding this past spring. The HGTV crew flew out this summer and was at my house for 8 or 9 hours taping me as I created some of my weird little gifts in my studio. I got not one, but TWO segments for that episode. I was a total goofball, but I had a blast with them. My show will be airing in '08 sometime. I have to call them in the spring for an exact date.
Flash forward: this week I dove into self-promotion headfirst. I hired a wonderful artist, Jelene, to help with the graphic design of my banner (cute, non? That's my illustration of my hedgehog, Baxter McPrickles, up there). Then, my dad was nice enough to take two days out of his weekend to help me take better quality photos of my artwork for my online shop. I've been busy meeting people like crazy in Etsy forums as well as on various social networking sites. I also bought some promotional ad time on Etsy. Look for me in the Main Showcase this coming Friday. Hopefully, it'll direct new people to my page.
This blog has a roll in all of that. I really hope to keep up on this thing, but once classes start again in a couple weeks, I make no promises. But I honestly will try!!!
The best part of all this mess is how motivated I've been feeling lately. I've been consistently busy making new work to sell online. Plus, I'm snowed in today (14 inches, really???) and you better believe I'll be coming up with some new stuff. So, keep your eyes peeled!

2 comments:

LoveMeKnot Creations said...

oooh I'm your first comment how fun :)
Well, congrats on the HGTV spot! And your etsy Showcase too!

I wish you a prosperous new year :)

Nicole Huot said...

Hooray - my first comment! Thank you so much for your kind words. My New Year's resolution (well, one of them anyway) is to work hard on making new work and getting myself out there. We'll see if I can stick to it!