January 29, 2008

Back to School 101

This summer, I decided it would be to my benefit if I were certified in graphic design. When I actually do get the rare freelancing gig with a company, many of them seem to expect me to be able to do the layouts and design for their brochures and ads as well as the illustration. I can't. My BFA is in illustration, and things like typography boggle my mind. I'd rather have someone else take care of text and layout than to do a poor job of it myself. Poor design seriously detracts from good illustration.
But the need for graphic design knowledge kept popping up in my life. I eventually began to feel like I was trying to build a house with only one hammer instead of a complete toolbox. I decided it was necessary I learn those other skills. Besides, a graphic design degree coupled with my 4 year illustration degree may eventually lead into a full-time design position (or so I hope).
So, eight years after I graduated from art school, I find myself back in the classroom. Let me tell you, it's so much different the second time around. When you're a full time student you have the luxury to eat, sleep and breathe your studies. It's your world. Though not an easy one by far, at least your sole concern is your education. As a grown woman taking night classes, there's a full day's worth of work at my job before I ever even get to class. Tack that onto the fact that I'm commuting 1-2 hours (depending on traffic) one way just to get to school. You can forget maintaining your household.
Taking two classes last semester nearly killed me. I was staying up until 3 a.m. on a weeknight just to finish my homework. When you work an 8-5 that isn't pretty, let me tell you. Somehow I survived (with straight A's too!). I'm fiercely proud of myself. I'm not generally a risk-taker, and the decision to go back to school was a big one for me. However, it's also taking a lot out of me. The winter break was much needed.
This past Sunday, I realized with a start that my spring semester begins this week. My first class is tonight, as a matter of fact. I do not feel emotionally ready to get back into that maniac schedule. Things should be a little better this semester though, since I was only to take one class due to prerequisite requirements. Still...the commute, the homework, the late nights...ugh. This will go on for three-plus years until I am certified. I don't know how I'm going to make it. It's just one of those things you can't think about, you just have to do. (Sort of like how I get myself to aerobics class every day.)
Are there any other "grown-ups" taking night courses, enrolled in post-grad programs, or continuing ed? How are you dealing with it? Do you have any secrets for time management? I could definitely use some advice. Personally, I just had to set priorities. That meant work and school came first, but unfortunately I let everything else slide. Our house was a disaster, I couldn't exercise as regularly because of my schedule, and I often had to eat on the run. It left me feeling icky. I wish I could balance it all. I'm hoping it'll be easier this time around. How do you do it?

2 comments:

Jennifer MacNeill said...

Hi, I saw your blog listed in Etsy. Love your work. Especially the dragon in front of the fridge. Keep it coming:)
Jen

Nicole Huot said...

Thanks Jennifer! (o: