January 24, 2008

Putting my feelers out there...

Yesterday I started a thread on the Etsy forums to get some sort of consensus on what people were interested in seeing more of in my shop. Do people like the illustrations? The prints? Plush characters? My bee ornaments? I bought fabric last weekend, but since no one has been buying anything at all, it's really hard to gage which direction I should go in.
Not a ton of people responded to the thread, but the ones who did all said the illustrations were the way to go.
I'm starting to feel the way I did my senior year in college. Confused.
Though I majored in illustration, I started experimenting with creating 3-D pieces in my last year...which went over really well with my teachers and classmates. My teachers encouraged me to continue in that direction. But when I asked them which career path I should turn to after college, I got a bunch of blank stares or vague replies. After all, this was the illustration department. How were they supposed to know what non-illustration path you'd be qualified for? No one seemed to like my illustrations as much as the items I was sewing or sculpting. I would go home from my senior portfolio class feeling lost and directionless. The tears would start building as I climbed the hill towards my apartment. By the time I got home, I'd be full-out crying. That is, until my roommate wandered in to lend an ear, (and often coffee or a cookie) to cheer me up.
People would suggest, "Design for children's rooms!" or "Work for a toy company!" The problem is that there are plenty of talented industrial design and textile professionals for both of those jobs. Some random illustrator is not qualified at all. Or so I learned after several job interviews where I failed miserably. I spent a full year after graduation floundering. I had interview after fruitless interview. I tried to branch out on my own and sell my own work. I tried sending promotional postcards to publishers. Nothing. Since I had spent my portfolio class sewing polymer clay sea creatures to a pair of fake bloody mittens, I didn't have enough illustration work to make a decent portfolio. I finally settled into the soul-killing world of 8-5 office work just to I could pay the bills and at the very least move out of my parents' house. Talk about hitting bottom.
Now here I am, years later. Admittedly, I'm doing better by leaps and bounds than the above narrative may imply. I've been involved in a few successful art fairs. I have some freelance illustration work (for real companies!) under my belt. I've completed several commissioned paintings. I have my Etsy shop. And most significant of all...I even made it onto HGTV somehow! (I am still working full time in an office to survive, but at least I finally like my job.)
Yet, I am confronted with the same question. Illustration vs. 3-D. Which path? It seems that other artists or illustrators love my 3-D things (the bees go over especially well) and the remainder favors my illustrations.
I still sort of feel the need to define myself. I realize that I can do both things and am perfectly capable of wearing two hats. At the same time, I also feel like I should have a primary focus. Even if it's simply in terms of what to create first (or more of) for my teeny online shop.
So...which is it?

9 comments:

Sarah said...

I have a few ideas for you - we will chat on Saturday! We are psyched to see you guys!

Nicole Huot said...

I'm so excited! And you know if you need a place to crash, our home is your home.

Dharma Designs said...

I love it all!

Nicole Huot said...

Thanks! Maybe I should just play it by ear and see what sells more...?

Anonymous said...

I so know the feeling!! You do great work in all the media you've worked in! I'm impressed by all of it :)

I would have majored in Illustration if my art college had offered it - but ended up majoring in Media Arts and focusing on Digital illustration. And now I find myself doing a lot more tangible paintings than digital paintings... I worked in an art gallery selling other people's art, and realised that the "original artwork" that people can touch, is more respected, than even the most beautiful digital painting that takes the same amount of effort if not more!

So I have about a million different media I love to experiment with - and NO IDEA what to do with it all, or what direction to take it :)

Heh, I think I know how you feel... I'm not sure I can offer any advice, just a comment from a fellow lost soul illustrator :)

Jezabels Jewels said...

whatever direction you decide to pursue, it will be great, I'm sure...everything you have in your shop is awesome! You have some crazy talent ;)

Nicole Huot said...

nadya - it's good to hear other people can relate! It's weird how you can find yourself going in an entirely different direction than the one you started out in. I do really feel like I need to work on my illustraton portfolio, but then I get distracted and want to sew or make new ornaments. It makes me feel a little like - jack of all trades, master of none. Sigh.

Jen - thank you so much for your comment! Positive feedback really helps get me motivated again when I'm feeling like this. I appreciate it. (o:

p.a.henderson55@gmail.com said...

I know how talented you are. Have you considered soft sculpture with the face of actual people? Like let say, I send you a picture of someone, can you paint their face on a bee ornament?

Patnwilton

Nicole Huot said...

Hi Aunt Pat!!! I could probably paint someone's face on a bee ornament. I'm not sure if it would get too expensive to do, though. I'll have to figure out how much I can charge where people will still be interested and able to afford it. Good ideas though!