January 19, 2008

Flash-in-the-pan Saturday

I always have such lofty goals for my weekends. I have visions of somehow completing 100 errands, producing an immaculate house and oodles of creative work. To accomplish this, you need to be one of those insane Type A personalities. Those are the people who are up at 6 a.m., spend the day being a whirlwind of productivity, and have conquered all their goals before lunch. The only problem is that's not me.

On Saturdays I am one of those people who get up, lazily eat a bowl of Cheerios while staring at the crossword (I have no idea why I bother. I can never remember any words, and even when I do I'm an atrocious speller.) After that, I usually stroll up to my studio in my pajamas to listen to "Car Talk" or "Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me" on NPR while drinking my coffee and clicking through the Internet for a couple hours. Eventually, I remember that I had "THINGS TO DO" and will get dressed and leave the house...mid-afternoon. Doesn't leave too much time for taking over the world, does it? Though, I must admit I've been much better with getting down to business lately.

What I did accomplish today was the errand part. I paid a visit to the fabric store, which I haven't done in ages. The fabric store can be a dangerous place for artists and crafty people. Especially me. I'm not interested in boring inexpensive cotton. Oh no. I'm buying up yards of satin, sequins, and anything remotely textured. Furry? I want it. Fuzzy? It's mine! Faux leather??? Fork it over! Oh yeah. My weird stuffed animals are better dressed than I am. C'est la vie. But check out the goods:



From bottom layer to top - sheep-like fluffiness (dunno if that fabric has a name. It was in the fake fur area), flannel, fleece, felt, and velvet.
I have visions of stuffed sheep in my future. I also had this massive brainstorm for a stuffed animal where a big chunk of the proceeds will go to charity. Which charity (and the reasons why I chose it) is a sad story that deserves a post of it's own...later.

Anyway, while I was out and about today, I was heading back to my car in a MAJOR shopping plaza parking lot. Traffic was whizzing by, people were stalking shoppers in order to get a parking space, and in the middle of all this there were...ducks. Yes, ducks. There were 4 gorgeous Mallard ducks sitting behind a van, quacking away like it ain't no thang. There were probably 2-4 more walking around the busy parking lot in between cars. The males had those distinctive bright glossy green heads and the brown females had that little familiar band of blue on their wings. I wish I had a camera on me, it was a bizarre sight. I was so scared they'd get run over. I probably chased about 3 of them away from oncoming traffic. I eventually realized that I couldn't stay in this massive parking lot all day long being "The Crazy Duck Lady" so I reluctantly got into my car and drove away. I'm still obviously wondering about them. Don't ducks migrate? I mean, it's cold here! And duckies, why a parking lot? I mean, really! There are loads of duck-friendly rural spots not even 5 minutes from the shopping plaza. Puzzling.

In other news, the Main Showcase I was in yesterday on Etsy was a total and complete bust. I made zero sales from it. I did get a lot of hearts, but only a couple more than I would've gotten on a normal day. I have received just as many hearts simply from talking to people in the forums. For you non-Estians, "hearts" are a way of bookmarking the page of a seller you like. It's also your way to tell the seller, "Hey, I think your artwork is awesome!" Or, that's how I like to interpret it. Here are my hearts if you want to see what it looks like. In any event, I don't think I'll be wasting my money again any time soon. Blah. Sad. I'm not letting my sales disappointments stop me, though. I have new fabric and am going to get to work. Due to the Martin Luther King holiday on Monday, I have a long weekend ahead. That's plenty of time to pick my chin up.

No comments: