January 26, 2008

Art for Mini-Muffins

I just got back from brunch with a good friend who is expecting. She's due in 3 weeks, and this will be her first baby. You know what that means...baby shower! Unfortunately I was unable to make her shower, hence our brunch date this morning. While catching up, I asked how her baby room was coming along. She said it was good but the walls were still bare. My face lit up. Nothing makes an artist happier than naked walls just crying out for their artwork. I started pointing to myself enthusiastically and saying "Just tell me what you want, I'll make a painting for you guys!"
I love creating paintings for baby rooms. First, most people already have a theme in mind. Second, there's an obvious deadline. It's basically an illustration gig, but you have a lot more creative wiggle room. Plus, baby themes are pure fun. Here are some of my past commissions and gifts for moms-to-be:



This was my first baby shower painting for my cousin. My aunt informed me her baby room theme was frogs. Well, me being me - I couldn't just paint a simple frog sitting on a Lily pad and be done with it. Oh no. I had to make synchronized swimming froggies. Eat your heart out, Esther Williams.



This was a commission for a grandmother awaiting the arrival of her first granddaughter. The painting is a recreated and embellished version of an image the grandmother had hanging over her own bed as a child. Though not entirely my own invention (I didn't make up that 1950's baby angel!), it was still fun.



A client of mine had two friends who were expecting at the same time. One was having a girl, one was having a boy. The theme for this little girl's room was vague. "Pink floral" I was told. A perfect opportunity to showcase some of my crazy bees, of course.



This was the painting for the baby boy's room. The theme was "safari". I love monkeys.

I'm curious to know what my friend's theme will be. She said that she and her husband briefly considered a Noah's arc theme, but quickly decided they didn't want "two of everything". That made me laugh. Still, it sounds like a possible animal theme is brewing. This is obviously right up my ally. Hurry up and decide, honey! My brushes are out and I'm ready to roll!

8 comments:

Bigbluebed said...

Beautiful. You are very talented. Thank you for sharing your work.

Keys and Memories said...

WOW- amazing talent you have :)
No more babies for me but I sure will remember you for friends, Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

All adorable paintings, but I just LOVE those frogs!

twiddlestix said...

This picture is really nice. I love the animals!

Nicole Huot said...

Thanks for the nice comments everyone! I'll post any new baby paintings as they come along. Hopefully, my friend will want me to do one for her baby room. They're so fun!

Kellybot said...

Wonderful, wonderful work! Love the froggies.

Anonymous said...

These are wonderful. My almost-3 year old "approves" of all of them (the last being her very favorite) :)

Nicole Huot said...

I'm so happy to hear it! I love when kids react to my work.
When I was involved in holiday art fairs, an expectant mom bought one of my prints. She returned the following year with her baby. The little girl kept pointing to one picture in particular and smiling. The mom said the baby recognized it because it hangs over her changing table. I thought that was the coolest!