June 13, 2008

Outcome of the contest I entered....

UPDATE:

I got a call on Friday while I was at work. It was a woman from the art contest I entered. I won third place in the professional category...for my woodblock print that I did 8 years ago. NOT the portrait I stayed up all night painting this week. I knew I shouldn't have painted on the glass - it really detracted from all the work I did on the portrait. I was trying to be innovative and creative. By the time I figured out that it wasn't working in my favor, it too late to buy a new frame. Oh well. You live, you learn. I still think it's worth experimenting.

In any event, this particular contest is really traditional. You won't see anything really avante guarde or innovative. Most of the awards go to still lifes or pretty landscapes. Yep. "Pretty landscapes" is the major recurring theme. Aaaand which of my pieces won a prize? You got it. The pretty landscape. LOL. However, there is a silver lining to this mini-fiasco...at least my dad's father's day present is finished. He can re-frame it however he likes. Hopefully without that stupid glass in front of it. Sigh.

The awards ceremony is next Thursday at 4:00 at City Hall. (o:

Note to self: start painting for next year's contest NOW. Lol.

6 comments:

industrialpoppy said...

Congrats on so many levels:
1-you finished it-that is so exciting!
2-I love the piece and totally get the whole past/present concept you have presented. The "reflections" of the past, as well as the transparency. And as for the possibility of the "past image" obscuring the present image....well that is how life is. We always see before our eyes the people we used to be-it is human nature. A great concept and project, successfully and effectively communicated.
3. You won! Which is great, even it it wasn't for the piece you were hoping for-another of life's little jokes haha
All in all, a very successful endeavor, well worth all of the time you put into it.

Nicole Huot said...

Thank you so much for putting a different spin on it. I liked it as I was working on it, but I always hate everything after it's finished for some reason. As my best friend says, I have a tendancy to be a "Negative Nelly" sometimes. If my dad likes it, that's all that matters. It was originally intended for him, anyway and not any kind of contest. And you're right - I did win a little something! Even if it wasn't for the piece I intended. (o:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! On both finishing a piece you struggled with AND winning for the other!

You are right, sometimes pretty landscapes are all people want to have in certain shows - at least you had one to put into the mix!

I thought your painting was quite lovely (I had an extra crazy week last week so I missed commented but I did look!) and a sweet tribute. I agree that the painting on the glass was distracting, but maybe just because it was so compositionally different from what was underneath or just too overpowering. I think you should be proud that you tried something REALLY different. Maybe you'll apply the same technique in a different work at some point. I've seen some work where the black linework sits on acetate above the painted (color) work and it looks really cool.

Bluebird Crafts and Collectibles said...

Way to go Honeydew!!! Congratulations on win and your up coming award ceremony :)!

fluffnflowers said...

Congrats on finishing your new project and congrats on winning for an older piece!

Heavy Metal Picks said...

Congrats! It seems to be the cruel irony of the art universe that stuff like that ALWAYS happens. It's happened to me sooo many times.