June 11, 2008

Painting Pics

Just a quick disclaimer: these photos stink. I was taking them at 2:30 in the morning after I'd been hovering over this thing all day. I'll get "real" snapshots when I get this painting back in August. But for now, here you go. The first image is just of the portrait portion of the painting. At this point, it was probably about 50% completed:



Those are Edith Piaf lyrics around the edge. It says, "Si un jour la vie t'arrache a moi/ si tu meurs, que tu sois loin de moi/ peu m'importe, si tu m'aimes car moi je mourrai aussi...Nous aurons pour nous l'eternite dans le bleu de toute l'immensite/ dans le ciel, plus de problemes/ Mon Amour, crois-tu qu'on s'aime? Dieu reunit ceux qui s'aiment!"
I don't know how to type the accents over the letters in Blogger, so you'll just have to imagine I put them there.

The next sloppy picture is of the finished product. Please pretend you can't see all those godforsaken smudges on the glass...or my poor husband forced to hold this thing while I take pictures with his camera that I kidnapped:



The portrait based on a photo taken of my grandparents at their 50th wedding anniversary. You can't really see the drawing on the glass in the above photo, but that portion is based on my grandparents' wedding portrait from 1940.



I know this pic is completely blurry, but you can see the line drawing a bit better without the flash.

So that's it, folks. That's what I've been slaving over all week. I hope you're not disappointed. I'm still not sure what I think of my own work. I like the portrait part of it, but the rest...uhhhhhhh. Either that painting on the glass is a tiny bit edgy and unique, or it's a hot mess. I really don't think there's an in between. This morning, I was definitely leaning towards "hot mess". Then again, I hate every single thing I do for a little while after I finish it. Maybe in two days I'll love it again like I did while I was working on it.

I wish I had the time to post pics on my blog before it was due, ask my readers' for critiques, and then submit it to the contest. But, as we all know, I am the reigning Queen of Procrastination Land and seriously lack in all kinds of time management skills...so that wasn't going to happen.

Instead, let's do the next best thing and be Monday morning quarterbacks - what should I have done? Leave the portrait as-is? Or do you like the glass painting thing? Either way, it's going to belong to my dad after this is over (those are his parents), and he can do with it what he likes.

Oh! I just remembered...I wanted to show you my poor neglected second entry into the contest. It's a semi-abstracted ukiyo-e woodblock print that I did years ago after a trip to France. It's a view from a path on Monte Sainte Victoire. That's the mountain that Cezanne painted over and over and over...



Now...what do I want to work on next? (o:

5 comments:

Handcrafted by LaMar said...

I love the first photo with the man and woman... how 'd you do that? Gr8 may need your services gonna heart your shop...for when I get married I think that would be a great gift-or for any one I know for that matter

Nicole Huot said...

Thank you! It's a painting of my grandparents in gouache on illustration board. I worked from a picture I had of them. The first image is of the painting when it was 50% finished. The final piece is currently entered into a gallery exhibit for the summer. So, I'll post pics of the finished painting in August oce I get it back. (o:

LoveMeKnot Creations said...

HD! I think yoru grandparents' portraits are wonderful! Also, the subtle drawing of their weddign day is a nice touch :)

I like your woodblock illustration too! You're too talented!

Nicole Huot said...

lovemeknot - thank you so much for your comment! It's so nice to hear from people. I was starting to doubt myself because this painting hasn't been getting much attention. However, my woodblock print won 3rd place in the contest I entered! (o:
I'm just going to keep on workin' at it.

Nicole Huot said...

lovemeknot - thank you so much for your comment! It's so nice to hear from people. I was starting to doubt myself because this painting hasn't been getting much attention. However, my woodblock print won 3rd place in the contest I entered! (o:
I'm just going to keep on workin' at it.