June 18, 2008

What next?

In typical Libra fashion, I'm having a hard time deciding what creative project to work on next. I'm good with a commission and a deadline, but if I don't have either, I tend to freeze up. It would be soooo easy for me to waste my summer, I'm afraid. But since you guys are so good at giving me a motivational kick in the pants, I figured I'd reach out for suggestions.

Should I create more items for my Etsy shop or potential art fairs? Should I create more bee ornaments? More stuffed animals? More little illustrations? Should I brainstorm new products? Or should I work on some "serious" paintings? My children's illustration portfolio? Arg.

Maybe I should take the advice of my SCBWI crit group, and just start with the "21 Day Challenge". (I think it was Anne Marie who put the challenge to me at our last meeting...? I know Gina's been working on this. She posted the results of her exercise on her blog, which you can check out here.) From what I can gather the challenge is to make the time to draw for 15 minutes every single day, for 21 days--no excuses. Maybe it'll jump start my creative process. I hope. /o:

5 comments:

Little Dickens Designs said...

Hmmm...I think I need a 21 day challenge too! I might have to try that.

I have a hard time deciding what to do next too!

Nicole Huot said...

It seems like a good idea! Gina's been coming up with some really cute stuff. I think she's also got links to other 21-day people on her blog.
I would love to connect and link up with other people doing this experiment. Let me know if you decide to do it. (o:

Gina Perry said...

You should give the 21 day exercise a shot. It's really whatever you want to make it about. I changed my 'theme' for the exercise halfway through as did a lot of other people. It's good for getting the dust off or overcoming any sort of anxiety - although there is the stress of having to post your work if you go that route, it also keeps you 'honest'. Also, lots of us took far longer than 21 days, even including weekends off. If you (and little dickens) decide to give it a shot, let me know and I'll link back to you on my list.

Anonymous said...

Hello fellow indecisive Libra!
I like the sound of that 21 day challenge. Go for it! I think I might start try it too :)

outofthepinksky said...

Your bees are an absolutely riot. Great job on those!