June 03, 2008

Still painting...

I know I've disappeared for a bit. Apologies to those of you who actually read this thing. I'm under a bit of a crunch right now, as I have to finish that painting for the contest I entered. And you know me, I'm the Queen of Procrastination! Next Wednesday is the date I have to drop everything off for the judging. I would say I'm barely 50% finished. Eeep!
I've also decided to submit a Ukiyo-e woodblock print of Mont Sainte Victoire I created a while back. (At least that one is done. Ha!)

I won't be posting any pictures of my half-finished painting. I hate showing people my work when it's half-finished. Unless, of course, those people are other artists helping me with feedback or a critique. It's kind of like going into a dressing room. You really only need your sister or your best friend in there with you to tell you that yes, your butt looks big in those pants--don't buy them. For everyone else, though, it feels like I'm standing in front of strangers in my underwear. That's just unnessesary.

Most of the time I have a very specific concept in mind, and I find it impossible to explain it. I end up feeling like a babbling fool in front of the bare-bones of a painting. You certainly can't get the message from what's coming out of my mouth, and since the painting isn't finished - you aren't getting my message from that either. I don't want to wind up looking like one of those "crazy artists". Soooo...you'll have to wait until my painting is complete to see pictures. If I did my job successfully, you'll "get it" by looking at it and I'll save myself the embarassment of having to explain it to you. Really, this particular piece isn't that "deep", but it does have 3 distinctly different elements incorporated into it. What I can tell you is that my painting is based off of these two photos of my grandparents:


The top one is of them on their wedding day, and the bottom one was them on their 50th wedding anniversary. (The 1980s just barely finished up - hence the shoulder pads and big glasses.) Stay tuned...(o;

6 comments:

Katie L. said...

lol, my gma still wears shoulder pads! I know exactly what you mean about not being able to explain yourself, I do the same thing, so I'm learning to keep my ideas to myself until I have them done, or else I'll stumble over my words and sound stupid :P

Nicole Huot said...

babylyons - I think it must be part of the package of being a creative person. We make things, and that's our way of communicating. If we were excellent at expressing ourselves verbally, we'd all be making speeches instead! (o:

hy said...

i love the pics of your grandparents!

Nicole Huot said...

mary jane - thanks! I especially love the one of their wedding day. They were sooo poor. My grandmother used to claim that you can see a chicken walking by in the background of that photo! Lol. I miss them both terribly.

Mia Of Mia's Graphic Designs said...

I hope the painting is going well, I know what you mean about procrastination... aah!! Lol... I am so bad for it! Hope you do well in the contest!

Nicole Huot said...

mia - thanks so much! I was up early this morning, and still have so much work to do. Only 4 days to go...eeep!