July 02, 2008

21 Day Challenge: Day 14



Pack rat!

I confess, I am a pack rat. I hang onto everything. Half the stuff I've hung onto has been collected with the excuse, "I could turn this into a really cool art project!" Then it's totally forgotten. Sometimes it's a really good idea to plow through your junk piles and do some serious sorting out. And by "sorting" I mean throwing away, donating, and/or recycling.

I spent the majority of last night cleaning and organizing my house and realized this might be a continual summer-long project. I barely hit the tip of the iceberg by cleaning up the bedroom. After only one evening, I have more than one garbage bag of clothes that will be donated to the Salvation Army. I dug through all my drawers and closet, tried things on, and found myself saying, "Ew! Why have I been holding onto these things again???" If you can pinpoint the year the fad happened, you're probably holding on to it for sentimental reasons and it's time to ditch the item. I also answered the question I've been asking myself all month: "How can I have a closet full of clothes yet nothing to wear?" Well...only about half of my wardrobe is wearable. 1/4 of it fits funny or doesn't fit at all. The other 1/4 is too hideous to wear in public. And the shoes...ooooh. Don't even get me started. (I have a little shoe obsession...ahem.)

The above sketch was inspired by last night's closet misadventures--even a pack rat can reach her limit sometimes. Time to box it up and ship it out! Next stop: my studio! (Though, it's about 150 degrees up there plus humidity, so who knows when I'll get a chance to tackle that mess.)

5 comments:

SciFlickChick said...

aww what a cute drawing!

Ravenswick said...

Love the drawing. I could have written your post (except I have not done any "cleaning out" lately). I come from a long line of pack rats too. So I not only have my stuff but my parents, grandparents, back to great grandparents! I actually have boxes of my grandfather's tax returns from the 1920's!

Caroline said...

Good for you! I always feel a little lighter when I clean and reorganize my closets.

Nicole Huot said...

dasha - thank you! (o:

art by mar - wow! If I had inherited belongings from my family members, I'd be in big trouble! I keep everything! I think it's a little easier to make a clean sweep when the junk is yours and has little or no sentimental value!

caroline - having an organized closet was like a breakthrough moment for me. I want to go out now and buy all kinds of storage bins and shelving!

Tracy said...

Oh, this is too hilarious! I just went through my closet and drawers in my bedroom yesterday and bagged up over 3 HUGE garbage bags full of clothes that I don't wear, so I understand the pack rat feeling. I love this little mouse peeking out...or rat! I'm doing the 21 day challenge now, too...thanks for sharing your work. :)