July 22, 2008

Sketches from England

I figured I'd spend this week sharing a bit of the sketch book I kept while traveling. I'll post a little each day. Today's doodles are from the England portion of my vacation.

We spent a little time at London's National Gallery, and I managed to do a few quick sketches. Keep in mind, they're nothing much. We didn't spend a lot of time in the museum, so I had to work fast! A few of them are no more than gesture drawings. That said, here we go: This was a detail from the Degas painting "La Coiffure". (Click on the highlighted links to see the actual paintings I stood in front of.) Me trying to capture even a mere detail of a Caravaggio in 2 minutes is sort of a laugh-riot. This gesture drawing is kind of sad. Especially when you look at the original. Poor Saint John the Baptist. Oh well. I did what I could in the time allotted.

A quick gesture from a Honthorst painting of Saint Sebastian.

My husband - waiting for the bus. (o:
Tomorrow I'll post some of my sketches from The Netherlands and possibly Norway.

2 comments:

Learning Spanish at 41 said...

Brave you, to share your sketches with the world--of the world. :0)

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, Nicole! I like your sketches!! How fun to do that among great paintings!