July 07, 2008

21 Day Challenge: Day 19




I picked up my husband's copy of Fahrenheit 451 this weekend. It was never assigned to me as required reading in either high school or college, but it interested me. I've already made it though a large portion of the book. I suppose I could've waited until my flight this week, and read it on the plane...but it's too late for that! The book is not that long, and I'm a voracious reader. I'm sure I'll be finished the whole thing by tonight.

One of the images they mention more than once is the badge the firemen have sewn onto their uniforms. It's an image of a fiery salamander. I figured I'd sketch it last night. I wanted to keep developing sketches until I can get it into a sort of cool graphic symbol, but after I drew the little guy above it was time for bed. Maybe that's a project for another time.

Lately, I've been in the mood to read books set in a dystopian future. The classics are always the best. 1984 and A Brave New World were both high school or college assignments, so I've read those. I also read A Handmaid's Tale (any woman's nightmare!!!) in college as well as A Clockwork Orange and several others. At the time, I was taking a class called "New Visions of the Apocalypse". It was very cool. Anyway, if you have other reading suggestions along these lines, I'm open!

2 comments:

Victoria said...

I re-read Fahrenheit 451 a few years ago. Great book, and I think very relevant to our times.

Nicole Huot said...

Very true! It is amazing how books written years ago can still reverberate so very strongly with current events.