April 14, 2008

The Actual Honeydew Studio

I practically live in my studio. It's where I paint, sew, and do my homework. It's where all my art supplies are stashed, as well as my favorite books. I would post pictures, but it's currently also a disaster area. (And anyway, the whole nation will get to see it on HGTV in the 500 series of That's Clever.)

It may be a mess, but it's mine. We moved into our place nearly 3 years ago, and it was the first time I'd ever had a room JUST for my artwork. In my studio's past incarnation, it was a little girl's bedroom. On our arrival it was covered in a too-sweet shade of lavender paint, complete with pink carpet. Then I took over. I slapped a can or two worth of Behr paint in a shade called "honeydew" and moved my stuff on in. (My shop and blog name aren't so mysterious anymore, huh? Lol.) You've never seen a more gorgeous paint color than when the morning sunlight brightens that room. I spend more time there than anywhere else in the house.

The only problem is that it's on the top floor. That's fine for most of the year, but when the humid New England summer finally hits it's unbearable. Especially since all I have are two skylights in the ceiling which aren't air-conditioner friendly OR that helpful with any sort of ventilation.

Last summer, I had 4 commissioned paintings to complete. Could I work comfortably on my drafting table? Of course not. I had to abandon my studio for a TV tray in the living room where at least we had an air conditioner. I've put fans up there; I bought a massive dehumidifier. I've even tried aiming an air conditioner up the stairs. To no avail. You feel like you're trying to fight your way out of scorching hot (damp) plastic wrap up there. It's a sauna. You're guaranteed to be sitting in a puddle of sweat after even so much as a 5 minute venture up those stairs.
In the last couple years, we seem to have gone straight from winter into summer with no real spring to speak of. I'm hoping that, this year, I'll actually have a break before summer kicks in. All I want is some studio time after my classes end and before it becomes impossible to work up there. That's not too much to ask, is it?
It's a love/hate thing. I adore my studio. I hate that it's sort of a seasonal room. What's your working space like?

9 comments:

pk fairaday said...

Would love to see pics- it sounds neat when the temp cooperates! At least you have a space- I'm scattered everywhere...and I'd kill for skylights in my workspace!

Hyla said...

My working space is half the dining room! If I was you I would take a chian saw to the nearest wall up there and put in a window...something to think about!

Nicole Huot said...

Haha! I wish I could chainsaw a hole in the wall. I'd put in an AC unit. Unfortunately, I don't think our condo association would like that very much!

woolies said...

I don't have a studio - I have stuff...here,there, you get the picture.
I'm very neat about storing my supplies, and you can kind of knit almost anywhere, so I carry my knitting bag around with me.
One day my kids will be in college...guess who will be taking over their rooms!
:0)

Nicole Huot said...

Haha, woolies! Sounds like a plan!
Now that I have a studio at long last, I could never give it up. If the hubs and I ever had two kids, we would definitely have enough room...except it would require me abandoning my studio. Forget that! If we have more than 1 kid someday, we're moving to a bigger place! Lol.

Unknown said...

Honeydew, your room is the same color as my soon to be 16 year olds room. She loves it! We painted the inside of her closet a dark turquoise and all of the trim white. It's certainly bright in the daytime, but it makes her happy, just like your room does for you. Have you thought of adding some sort of cover over the skylights or would that take away too much light? Enjoy it while you can.

Tammy

UniqueNurseGranny said...

My area is not so spacious but that does not curtail the mess.You do good work wherever.may summer be breezy this year...

Nicole Huot said...

tammy - too weird! My bedroom is a light turquoise color with one dusty-turquoise accent wall! I guess I'm a 16 year old at heart. (o: I promise I'll post pics soon. (I just need to clean up a bit in here!)
You know, covering up the windows is actually the one thing in the world I haven't thought of! This room bakes in the sun ALL DAY. That might actually help. Thanks for the suggestion!!!

Nicole Huot said...

uniquenursegranny - aw, thank you!