April 03, 2008

Life. Unplugged.

I think I need to unplug myself.

I don't watch a whole lot of TV. It's not that. Aside from the Daily Show, there's nothing I watch regularly. I have never even heard of some of the shows my coworkers discuss at lunch (I'm about to come off snotty, but oh well. More than half of it is total garbage! How do these things even make it on the air???) No, my problem is the computer. I'm starting to feel that it's a giant black hole sucking up all my time.

Unfortunately, the majority of that can't be helped. I have to be on the computer for my job. I also have to do my homework for typography class on the computer. (Helloooo Adobe!) But when I have a minute of free time between those two things, I'm endlessly answering lengthy e-mails, browsing online, or doing something in Etsy. (Anyone else addicted to the Etsy Forums? OMG. I'm awful!) Plus, being online feeds into my tendency to procrastinate. Hours slip by me unnoticed. There are clear warning signs that carpel tunnel is in my future. I don't even need a crystal ball to tell me that. This can't be good.

One night last year, my internet went down so I shut my computer off for the evening. Suddenly, I seemed to have LOADS of time. The amount of things I could get done in an hour was staggering.

I've decided to start weaning myself off of my internet dependency by reading more. Technically, it shouldn't be too hard. My hubby and I are a couple of bibliophiles. We have geeked it out on many a date to Barnes and Nobles. We read aloud to each other before bed each night. (I know, I know. Most of my friends have threatened to puke when I tell them that.) At any given time, there are a dozen books I want to buy. On top of that, I have probably 2 dozen books laying around the house that I haven't gotten around to reading or finishing yet. I think I'm going to start working on the pile.

In my artwork, a major source of inspiration for me is fairy tales, folklore, and mythology. I did A LOT of work based around those things in college. I have read more stories than is reasonable. One of my bookshelves is dedicated to fairy tales and myths from all over the world. I have a fabulous book that I started reading ages ago but never finished. I've picked it up again this week and wonder why I ever put it down in the first place. It's called Trickster Makes This World: Mischief, Myth, and Art by Lewis Hyde. It's really well-written. How can that not be right up my alley?

After this semester is over, and I adjust to spending only 75% of my time on the computer (rather than 99%) I think I'll undertake a massive organizational overhaul of my house. And get back to painting. It's been almost a year since I had a pile of ongoing paintings.
Plus, not to jinx anything, but the smallest signs of spring are starting to show up. That means I won't be cooped up in the house much longer. Hopefully the Internet withdrawals won't be too bad. Wish me luck! (o;

7 comments:

able mabel said...

Isn't it amazing what can be accomplished without a working computer! I totally hear you about the hours passing very quickly when on the computer! Here it's already 11:30 and I have accomplished next to nothing today (except able mabel stuff)!

erinpetersonart said...

I think we should start a club for people addicted to their computers, but then we'd have to contact each other over the computer, so I think we'd be adding to the problem. :)
Good luck with your new approach to your addiction.

Nicole Huot said...

Hahaha!!! A Yahoo e-mailing Group for people addicted to the internet = irony! I'm really hoping to turn my PC on ONLY for homework at home. But my thinking usually goes something like this, "Since the computer is on, I might as well check my e-mail" etc. This will probably end up being harder than it looks!

Anonymous said...

Well good luck! I think computers can be the biggest time waster! More can get done when it's off :)

Rosebud Collection said...

I have to admit, I am getting a little crazy with the Etsy forums and blogs..I get hooked and want to read them all..Everyone is so darn interesting..I think it is nice to read to each other at night..

Nicole Huot said...

rosebud - it's really the forums and blogs that are getting me right now.

The hubby and I are geeky, but reading before bed is our little tradition together. No matter how cheesy people might think it is, we love it. (o:

Waterrose said...

I wish you lots of luck. I will go for very long periods of time without spending so much time on the computer, then I'm back again. It's like an addiction to soda! Oh, and I adore books too!