April 02, 2008

Honey-do homework

I thought I'd finally show you guys one of the projects I've been working on for class. This is my *brand new* Honeydew Studio logo. Last week in class, my logo samples went down like the Titanic. This week, I ditched everything and started from scratch. After busting my butt, e-mailing back and forth with my teacher, and discussing it at length with my brother-in-law (who is a professional graphic designer) I came up with this resolution:


That pic is kind of a crappy copy. Sorry. I don't know how well you can see it, but there are little seeds inside the "O" to represent a honeydew melon. I'm thinking about saturating my greens a little more since they don't show up real well on white paper. Especially the "o"s. I want them to be a bit closer to lime green. The other half of the project for this week was to design two samples each of letterhead, a business card, and an envelope. Since I spent so much time on the logo itself, I had to crank the rest of the project out last minute. After seeing everyone's professional-looking work hanging up on the wall during class last night, I was completely ashamed to show my cobbled and glued together mess. I could barely hear all the nice things people had to say about my logo, because I was so appalled at my stationery set. Thankfully, some of my ideas were at least shining through my horrid craftsmanship, and I was able to come away with a plan for next week. I'm eager to get to work on it.

I feel a lot better today. I suppose this cycle of stress and anxiety will continue every week until I'm done the program. (Ugh.) I only have one class this semester, and am starting to wonder how I survived two classes last semester. In the fall, I'll be back to taking 2 courses again. I am not looking forward to it. At least my blog readers will get a whole summer reprieve from me whining about school before I turn spastic again. Haha!
Anyway I'm motivated enough to start working on this week's assignments immediately. I hope I can get it done, get a head start on project #2, and have time enough to enjoy myself this weekend. (I am attending a Margret Cho show with the fabulous Ms. Sarah of The Pink Shoe Diaries.) And maybe...just maybe...I can start sketching cover art idea for Ryan's Life in Orbit album. (I hear you cheering, Ryan. But don't get your hopes up too much! Lol.)

10 comments:

Carrie Lynn said...

Oh! I love the new logo.

GalleryJuana said...

Your new logo is very refreshing to look at and I love your hedgehog avatar.

Nicole Huot said...

Thank you! It's funny, I never thought much about logos, but now I can't stop seeing them. They're harder to design than you'd think. Especially when it's your own!

Sarah McBride said...

I really like the new design. Very cute!!

Manda said...

your logo is so cute! i can totally see the melon seeds in the "O".

p.s. I've tagged you! Of course you don't have to play along but it's kinda fun! See my latest post for the details!

Nicole Huot said...

Thanks Manda!
I already got tagged last Friday by DivaDea. It was fun! Here's a link to the post with my list of 7:

http://honeydewstudio.blogspot.com/2008/03/merry-christmas-wait-whaaaa.html

(o:

Unknown said...

I really like it. The little melon 'o' is adorable. And I am hideously jealous, as I love Margaret Cho!!

PetitPoix said...

I really like the logo too.

Mimi - Image Beads said...

Its a great new logo.

Unknown said...

I dig your new logo. I hope your week gets better and better!