May 21, 2008

For some reason...

I'm a nervous wreck! Let me give you a little background first:

Two years ago, I submitted a painting to an annual art contest, and won second place in the professional category. (Cash prizes, folks! Woo-hoo!) I didn't submit last year because I had no finished and framed artwork to enter. This year, the contest is going on again (I just found out today) and I really want to enter. The problem? The deadline to turn in the registration form is June 9.

I kinda sorta have something to submit this year. It's a painting I started working on last summer that was put on hold (I was interrupted by 4 commissions, and then school), so it's still not finished. I have a lot of work to do on it, as it was going to be a rather complicated piece. I am absolutely DYING to submit something this year!!! The question is - can I finish a rather complex piece in 2 weeks?!?! What if I send in my registration form, but then can't complete the piece I said I was submitting???

Anyone care to help me with a solution to this dilemma? Or should I just start painting my butt off and pray? (C'mon guys, tell me I'm nuts or cheer me on! I need one or the other. Lol.)

12 comments:

missknits said...

ooo tough one! for me, nothing like a little pressure to get me really in a creative mood! who knows you might get really inpsired! if its something you have been wanting to do, i say go for it!!

Nicole Huot said...

I also work really well under pressure! The question is...do I want to do that to myself the week after I finished up spring semester? I always put myself into these positions. Lol.
On a positive note, this was supposed to be a Father's Day gift for my dad LAST YEAR. And if I hurried up and finished it, that would be a big bonus.

industrialpoppy said...

Do it. Submit your registration, and then do it. Maybe that piece of art has been waiting for this venue. Don't let this opportunity pass you by!

Nicole Huot said...

industrialpoppy - thank you for your vote of confidence! (o: I hope I can pull this off.

*bites nails nervously...*

Sister Mary Martha said...

Go for it. It's something you really want. You can sleep when you're dead.

Nicole Huot said...

sister mary martha - lol! At the rate I'm going, it really looks like that'll be the next time I get to nap! (o:

But seriously, I really do want to do this. If I was truly out of my mind, I'd submit the maximum of TWO paintings. (I have another half-finished one!)

Unknown said...

I think if you are really want to do it, you will find a way to make it work. How long will it realistically take you to finish the painting? It might take some all nighters and waking up early. If its worth it its worth it.

Gina Perry said...

It's so hard sometimes to prioritize what that next project is. And deadlines can sort of force your hand (literally!) Do it if it feels right!

oh, and TAG you're it - check my blog.

fluffnflowers said...

I think it'd be pretty invigorating to clamp down and paint like hell. I'm not a painter, but stress is the ultimate motivator, for me.

I wish you luck, whatever you decide!

Nicole Huot said...

Thanks everyone! I'm totally going to do this. Last night, I only had an hour to paint, but I buckled down and did it. I was suprised at how much of a difference even a little bit of time made! I'll post pics when I'm done. (o:

PAC said...

Good Luck! I know you'll do awesome!

Nicole Huot said...

Aw, thank you! I hope I don't disappoint myself...