March 19, 2008

Geeking it out in Typographyville

I had my typography class last night. It was a busy night, and we had a lot of ground to cover. The homework due included a type project, a paper, and mid-semester review of our big "journal" project. AKA - my infamous "artist business card project". It went over well, and everyone seemed impressed at how many cards I've received so far. (Thanks to all of you!)

I'm slowly starting to understand type design. Previously, I never really liked or cared about this sort of thing. I appreciated good design, but wasn't really interested in talking about it or doing it myself. Typography seemed like a foreign land to me. It's like if you were suddenly plunked down in Paris with no French language skills at all. Once you get a handle on the language (be it French or type), the world opens up and there you are on the street cheerily waving to people shouting, "Bonjour! Commant ca vas?" Or in my case, getting way too thrilled with receiving artist business cards in the mail and looking over all the different designs. You know what I mean?

I'm even excited for the next big project. We have to "brand" ourselves and create a type logo for letterhead, business cards, etc. We'll even get to use color. (We've been working in b&w all semester so far). I am psyched. I've been struggling to do this very thing for Honeydew Studio for more than a year.
I have a banner which was made for me by the lovely Ms. Jelene, but a banner is not necessarily a company identity. The last business cards I have were from YEARS ago and are really poorly designed, generic mass orders I made through an online printing shop (which will not be named). When trying to sell your artistic and design ability, these are maybe not the best things to hand out to people. Now I'm going to have my teacher as well as an entire class worth of critiquers to take a look at my design ideas for Honeydew. As far as I'm concerned, this is not merely a class project. For me, this is "real world" design for my shop and services - an area that where I've felt lost and lacking for a very long time. Now, I'll get getting loads of help at long last. (Hooray!!!)

Man, is this the first telltale sign that I'm geeking it out for graphic design? I guess you'll know of sure if I ever start getting excited over font.

4 comments:

Scott Bulger Photography said...

Very nice. It's great to see you excited about this. You are really going about all of this the right way, like a professional.

Nicole Huot said...

Thanks Scott! It is weird to be back in school so long after getting my BFA in illustration and having freelanced here and there for several years. But I do feel like school is doing what it's supposed to do - and that's expanding my view and knowledge. It is rather exciting. (o:

UniqueNurseGranny said...

What a great opportunity to mis school and progress for your business.That does not happen often in the real world.

Anonymous said...

The branding project sounds like it will be really fun. When you're done with the project, you should take a photo of all the business cards you received and then post it here.