March 20, 2008

Too much of a good thing?

I have this problem...when I get too overwhelmed with something, it results in me not being able to do anything at all. For example, if the entire house needs cleaning, I don't know where to start and nothing ends up getting done. My husband always advises me to pick one thing, start with that, and to not even think about the other things until I'm done. Then pick one more thing, etc. Before you know it - voila! Your chores are done. Unfortunately, this isn't how my brain works. I think of everything at once and get distracted. Things will end up half-finished as I rush off to do something else. Or I'll just give up altogether.

Unfortunately, this goes for my creative work as well. Normally, having a plethora of ideas is fantastic. It's soooo much better than being stuck in a rut or feeling uninspired. But, right now, I have too much on my plate. There are simply too many ideas that I want to work on. I don't even know where to start, so I haven't been doing anything lately.

Here is what's going on: I have two paintings that I started last year that really need to be finished. One was part of a series of "grownup" artwork I wanted to start. They're fairy-tale and mythology based, but more serious. They are definitely not to be grouped with my children's illustration. The other is a painting of my grandparents that was supposed to be a gift for my dad...last summer. I'm the worst. I know that painting should be priority. I know it. But I was halfway through the painting when my grandmother passed away. This spring is the one year anniversary of her death, and it's almost too hard for me to go back to it.

Aside from that, my brain is bubbling over with ideas for other really fun projects that I'm anxious (and inspired!) to start. I was thinking about starting a second Etsy shop for more mature artwork (I even have a couple projects in mind). I had plans to make stuffed animals and donate the proceeds to charity. I'm dying to apply to an ATC group and start trying my hand at those. I have half-finished bumble bees I want to finish painting and post on the Etsy shop I already have. Also, my best friend (who is a musician) has been bugging me to design a cover for his album. On top of all this, I have homework to think about. And my biggest excuse not to do anything is that my studio desperately needs to get cleaned and organized. I simply can't work in there as-is. I feel like I'm holding a giant jumble of yarn, and I can't find the end. So...I've been procrastinating.

If any of you guys can see through my mess easier than I can, please help! Go ahead - feel free to prioritise for me. Tell me what I should get done first. I could use a good kick in the pants. If you're really good at organizing, I'd welcome some advice. I promise I'll take it. (o:

6 comments:

Sarah said...

The biggest thing that helps me when I have a lot to do is the Almighty LIST. Get out a pen and paper and write down everything you need to get done, no matter how big or small. Then, just tackle the list. It helps to break down huge tasks into smaller ones like instead of "Clean kitchen" I would break it into "Do Dishes", "Clean Counters", "Mop Kitchen" and then even if you do one of those you get to cross it off your list....and you will find that once you get out of the frame of mind that its a huge task and into the frame of mind that it's a bunch of smaller ones - it gets easier!

Nicole Huot said...

I had "The List" in the runup to my wedding. It was pages and pages long...I wrote EVERYTHING on it. Even as small as "Call florist". I felt so accomplished every time I was able to cross something off.
I could make another list right now. The problem is some of them are long-term projects and they should be tackled in some sort of order. I'm having a hard time deciding what should come first. I'm sort of thinking "Clean Studio" might be #1...

Kathleen J. said...

With bigger projects sometimes I set out blocks of time, maybe just 10 minutes, maybe an hour or two to chip away at getting it done. That way I can work at them a little each day along with each days more immediate needs.

Nicole Huot said...

Cozy - that sounds like a good idea. As of the last couple days, I've been trying not to waste my evenings answering e-mail or visiting the Etsy forums. I've been slowly getting my studio clean. Maybe I'll try your formula for my artwork as well...
(o:

Tom Barrett said...

Start with your studio first, since that is where you most likely spend most of your time. Get it clean and organized, esp. if you can't work in there now.

For your friend's album cover, call him/her up and tell them you will have it done by a certain date. That is what I have to do to get myself to get some personal projects done; verbally promise a date with the friend/family member.

Put off any new ideas until you get some current projects out of the way; write'em down, but let that be the end for a bit. Put the list out of site until your ready to tackle it.

As for the new Etsy shop and the stuffed animals, seriously ask yourself if you will really enjoy these new endeavors personally, or if money is the more motivating factor. Trust me, serious thought about my "ideas" has kept me out of what could have been unwanted circumstances or projects.

And as for cleaning the house, your husband's suggestion is best in this case, esp. if it is the whole house. And schedule a day to do it; no visitors, no calls, no art, no blogs, no Esty forums, etc., etc.

Hope this helps!!

Nicole Huot said...

Tom - that actually sounds like a good solid plan. I've been slowly cleaning up my studio bit by bit all week (trying not to think too much about it as I go). I'd have to say I'm about 75% done at this point. I think you're right - a day of spring cleaning is in order for the rest of our place. (I'll have to unplug my computer for a weekend, I think!)
My friend has his own deadline for me to do his album cover, so that's not a problem. The only issue would be me actually getting it done...and that would have to be after my homework is done.
It's true about the Etsy stuff as well...I don't necessarily have a burning desire to work on some of those things right now. You're right - I was probably just thinking about things that would sell well. That can wait.
And I'll have to put off the paintings and ATCs that I am dying to do until the painting for my dad is finished. Maybe that would motivate me.
I'm so bad at organizing my priorities. Thanks for helping me put things into perspective! (o: