March 11, 2008

Just another reason to love Etsy (as if you needed one!)

Over the last two days, I sent my plea for business cards out everywhere I could think of. Including begging on this blog. (I'm sorry, but if you can't whine on your own blog then where can you whine?)

You know why I need so much help? Because these were all I could find in my house for artist business cards:
I'm hoping there's more lying around somewhere. Even if there are, it won't make much of a dent since I need hundreds for this project. The instructor told me via e-mail that over one hundred cards would be a minimum.

I'm a member of several art, craft, and illustration groups so I e-mailed or posted on the sites of every last one of those groups. Only a trickle of responses came in. With one exception. Etsy. The deluge of e-mails and convos from Etsy folks simply blew me away. It makes me so happy, I could do a little dance. In fact, I just might!
The support and help I have received from the Etsy community is astounding. I even received international e-mails. I would hug every last one of you if I could! You can imagine what a difference all of you guys made (and can still make). Especially when some of you are including cards of artist friends and family when you mail me. By the end of the week, my pile of material will have increased 100 fold from what I have now. I expect the final product (the book I have to make) will be fabulous.

For those of you who haven't been following my typography project saga, scroll down and read the blogs from the past two days to catch up. Then, if you haven't sent me your card yet but would like to, feel free to e-mail me at honeydewstudio@gmail.com and I'll let you know where to send it. Although the first half of my project is due next Tuesday, I will continue collecting cards until nearly the end of the semester (that's when the project is due). Every last card is needed and welcome! So, please keep sending them!

Now...onto another topic. (You deserve it. Especially since you've been listening to this homework stuff for 3 days in a row now!) I was browsing at Barnes and Nobles a week or so ago with the hubby. I decided to poke through the art and design magazines and just became overwhelmed.

What I want to know is - do you guys read art mags? Which ones are your favorites? I usually like Juxtapoz...even though it sort of makes me feel like I stink as an artist after I read it. It's like fashion magazines for women - you know you'll never be Gisele but you keep looking at (and comparing yourself to) pictures of models anyway. Haha! Oh well.

Anyway, this month's Juxtapoz was all encased in plastic. I don't know about you, but I hate when I can't flip through a magazine before I buy it. First of all, that plastic is such a waste! It creates so much extra (non-biodegradable) garbage and for what? I mean, is there a special gift inside that they don't want to fall out? Usually not. Basically we're just not allowed to gaze at the magazine before we buy it. Um...no thanks. First I want to know if I'll even be interested in what I'm paying for! I find that most of the other fine art magazines consist of 99% ads. Which annoys me. Art magazines are expensive! I don't really need to pay $8 or more for you to sell me something. If there's hardly anything inside aside from ads, why bother creating the thing at all? I thought ads were supposed to help pay for content. So...are there any other worthwhile illustration/design/art magazines you can recommend? Good articles, great pictures, etc? I want something worth picking up. I think I have another B&N gift card with $15 on it somewhere and I'm looking to spend it! (o:

9 comments:

DivaDea said...

Agreeing 100% about the plastic issue. I'll email you re the business card project :)

Nicole Huot said...

Hooray! Thank you!

woolies said...

what kind of cards do you need? Biz cards? From artists?
I missed that request, but would be pleased to help out...

Anonymous said...

I used to get The Artist's magazine, but now I subscribe to digital art mags (Layers, etc). I've heard that Illo is worth picking up, but I've never read it myself.

Good luck with your project!

Unknown said...

I sent you an email about the business card project! I hope I can help you out. I love the way you write in your blog and agree that the etsy community is one the best things to happen to a small business woman! I have learned more about business from them (as I have a BA in Archaeology) than any book I have tried to read. GO ETSY!

Nicole Huot said...

Hi Woolies! *waves* Yes - I am in need of business cards from other artists, designers, or craftspeople. I have to collect hundreds of samples for my Typography class. It's a semester-long project. At the end of the semester, we'll need to collect all our samples into a book format. I'd love to have one of your cards! If you can, convo me on Etsy or e-mail me at honeydewstudio@gmail.com and I'll send you my address!

Nicole Huot said...

dstopgal - I'll definitely have to check those magazines out. I'm still on a quest for a good art mag!

morgan - I agree with you 100% about Etsy being a better place to learn about business than any book. I've also learned so much from my time there! Also, I just sent you an e-mail. Thanks for helping me out!!!

Jeni said...

Hooray for awesome Etsians!! I'm emailing you my business card!!

Nicole Huot said...

missfire - speaking of awesome Etsians...
Thank you so much for your help!!!