March 03, 2008

Spring is in the air date...

Can you believe it's already March 3? Though the calendar and the 6 foot (plus) snowbanks around my house tell me otherwise, I officially consider it spring. As far as I'm concerned, that means it's time for me to contact HGTV.
For those of you who weren't aware, I was taped for an episode of "That's Clever" last summer. The crew was over my house for over 8 hours (phew!). After everything wrapped up, the producer gave me a little slip of paper with contact info on it. It instructed me to e-mail or call in the spring of '08 in order to find out the air date for the episode I'd be on. "Spring" a is fairly vague term. Especially seeing as how we got April blizzards here last year. I decided it was better to start bugging HGTV sooner rather than later. God forbid I miss my episode! "That's Clever" is on every morning, 5 days a week with 3 artists featured on each show. I don't even know how to set my VCR, and we certainly don't have TiVo. It's absolutely necessary that I find out the date way in advance!
I decided that today was the day to start bugging them for a date. I'll keep you posted if (and when) I hear back.
It's a fun/goofy show, and I know I was certainly silly during the taping (beware - bad puns abound!)...so I may live to regret telling all of you when my episode will be on. Even if I wind up looking sort of ridiculous, national exposure has got to be better than none! I'm excited and mildly mortified at the prospect.

In other news, my hubby and I went on our "date" to Barnes and Nobles last night. We both spent the entirety of our gift cards...plus $9. I bought 3 books - Wreck This Journal by Keri Smith, Thinking with Type by Ellen Lupton (can you tell what I'm currently back in college for? Lol.), and Artist Trading Card Workshop by Bernie Berlin.
I'm probably most excited about the Keri Smith book and the Artist Trading Card book. Both will force me to relax, play, make a mess and have fun making art again...with no major expectations of the outcome. I was actually dreaming about ATCs (artist trading cards) last night - how ridiculous is that? (Etsy calls them ACEOs = art cards, editions, and originals.) I love the idea of ATCs - it's just a little baseball-card sized piece of original art that you trade with another artist for one of their cards. You can collect all kinds of mini gems through trading your own tiny pieces. Some people sell 'em. I imagine this happens even more frequently with the very collectible ones created by notable artists. Personally, I don't like the idea of selling ACEOs, I feel that it sort of defeats the purpose and the spirit of the movement. I would love to find a good group for ATC trades, so if you know of any online or in the New England area, let me know. I suppose I'm getting ahead of myself...I should make some of my own little cards first! I'll post 'em up here once I start creating. (o: I can't wait to get started!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great article. I totally learned something new today! I used to paint and draw. Being on etsy is bringing out all of my artistic abilities again and I am pulling out life figure drawing out of the creepy corners of my closets. Thanks so much!

Ren
raghousenternational.etsy.com

Nicole Huot said...

Getting back to figure drawing is always a great idea. I want to back to my roots too. I've been dying to get back to painting with no purpose and playing with mediums. Sometimes all it takes is a little inspiration. (o: (I LOVE your body knits, by the way. Just gorgeous!)