March 01, 2008

March? Madness!!!

Welcome to March first in my neck of the woods:


4 to 8 inches of snow today! This was not the pic I had planned for this morning. I was hoping to have "before" and "after" pictures of my studio. I wanted to dazzle all of you with how organized and clean it was, but uhhhmmm...that's not the case yet. I don't know what happened to me this week, but my vacation turned me into a zombie. I didn't get a whole lot done. I spent some time with my sis, which was nice. But, my biggest accomplishments were getting hedgie's front nails cut and booking an estimate for some much-needed work on our house. Woo-hoo! Don't get me wrong, I did start cleaning...I just didn't finish.

It probably is just a fantasy that I'll get it done this weekend at all. I've got homework to do today, and tomorrow I have a trip planned to go see my friend Holly. She's a fellow RISD alumni and illustrator. So, I figured I'd talk about her today.

A long time ago, I decided to base one of my plush characters on Holly. Here's my interpretation:

I can't even begin to describe Holly's work or style. It's a bit strange - sometimes funny, sometimes creepy but always lovely. She incorporates vintage elements into her collage pieces, and her illustrations and paintings take inspiration from different cultures around the world. Maybe it's better if I just show you a few of her pieces:


Holly doesn't have an online shop yet, though I wish she did! She's still working on her website and it's almost done. The only category still missing is her 3-D work. Wait until you see her rod puppets! They're amazing. She used to do these crazy little drag queen finger puppets that I was in love with too. Feel free to contact her for more information on commission work. I believe all her info is included on her site. To get a look at more of her gorgeously detailed art, and to read her bio, go here. It's like a free trip to an eclectic, exotic and beautiful little world! (o;

7 comments:

LoveMeKnot Creations said...

your friend's work is amazing! I think you did her justic with the doll:) Well, have fun in the snow!! Maybe a good exuse to stay in and read a good book and get cozy by the fire?:)

Bonghi Vestiti said...

Haha...Your March 1st looks like my March 1st :)
www.bonghivestiti.blogspot.com

Nicole Huot said...

lovemeknot - Holly's great. I think she's going to open an Etsy shop soon. Can't wait!
We do have a fireplace and I have a collection of Get Fuzzy cartoons to read...not a bad idea. (o:

bonghi - I'm heading over to your blog right now! Lol.

Gray Eyed Scorpio said...

The snow pic looks exactly like the view out my own back windows, over the deck and into the woods. We have kindred yards!

Nicole Huot said...

Kindred yards...heehee! Glad to know I'm not the only one suffering from March snow storms!

missknits said...

oh wow her work is fabulous!! thank you so much for sharing it with us! and unbelievable its march and still snow! we have 2 days of sun before we get our next snow storm... so i am enjoying it while i can!

Nicole Huot said...

You're welcome! It's always nice to give exposure to people whose work I admire.

I haven't dared check our weather forecast yet. I don't think I could take another snowbound commute to and from my night classes. Ugh!