March 21, 2008

Illustration Friday: Pet Peeves


I could probably do 100 illustrations based on all the pet peeves I have, but since I don't have the time, here's just one. Haha! As usual, I still can't seem to find the time to crank out a "fresh" illustration for IF, so I dug this one out. When it comes to gifts, I know people say, "It's the thought that counts". But what if it's obvious the person put absolutely NO thought into it?
Now, I'm not talking about an ugly sweater from Aunt Pearl. It may not be your taste, but at least she tried. I'm talking about when the person clearly didn't even think or exert any effort at all into your gift. What if it's something you can't even use? (For example: getting a DVD for Christmas when the person knows darn well you don't even own a DVD player. Ahem. Thanks?) Poor fishy. She's been a victim of a utterly thoughtless gift. Sometimes I think it might be better to get nothing at all.

20 comments:

Sarah said...

I love that! Also this reminds me - I want to comission one of those Cinderalla shoe quote things we were talking about last week!

Nicole Huot said...

Oh yeah! I totally forgot about that. Just remind me of what you want (Lord knows I can't remember the exact quote.)

Sheikasaurus Rex said...

Poor Fishy. She looks so pissed and sad....like when you're so pissed you're sad? :P Love your style.

Sarah said...

I will be myspacing you shortly!

Eunice Rosado said...

AH AH AH!!! This is ultra fun!!! ;))

NANCY LEFKO said...

this is perfect and what a great take on the topic.

ThePeachTree said...

This is just PERFECT!! I love the illustration. Captivates and gets me where my laugh starts :)

Anonymous said...

Aww I love this! Too perfect and funny :)

Also, it's kinda weird, coz I drew a fish yesterday, too.

Tracy said...

How true...how many fish actually wear HEELS anyway??? I think they prefer flats :) Cute idea and illustration!

Anonymous said...

super cute and so true about the thought or lack thereof! I usually give gift cards and put the thought into which one I pick, then which one has the nicest picture!

a: )

Anonymous said...

hi i think your pic is my fave so far!! BTU!!
ttyl
-cora

Cheryl said...

Excellent choice.

Heather Buchanan said...

Oh poor fishy! You captured the expression so perfectly! The hurt, the confusion, the frustration. So perfect.

If you happen to see Fishy around, let him know that he can re-gift me shoes any time.

Nora said...

Cute illustration! I totally get what your saying about gifts. Why can't they just give money!? (Note sarcasm =))

Nicole Huot said...

I love all these reactions! Lol! I have some "gifts-gone-wrong" horror stories, but I'm nice and won't share them here. It does look like we've all recieved one of those "What were you thinking???" presents at one time or another.
I agree with you Heather - I'd take those red heels any day! If I see Fishie, I'll offer to trade them for some worms. (o;

van dyke said...

Great colors and good expression! Nice work.

Silvia Hoefnagels . Salix Tree said...

Lovely illustration! What a great expression on poor lil fish. Wonder if those shoes are waterproof?

Lisa Ann Wilson said...

wow - love it!

Anonymous said...

Your fish has such a puzzled expression on her face! At least she didn't receive a bicycle:> You bring up a good point, and you chose the perfect illustration for it.

thedoodlegirl said...

What a great idea! Love your imagination. Super illo.